Friday, February 24, 2012

GROOMED FOR MURDER

            Over the years, many people have asked to read copies of the first murder mystery I had published, Groomed for Murder. I’ve had to tell them that, unfortunately, the book is out of print. However, with the recent breakthroughs in technology having drastically changed the publishing field, I made a decision to make GFM available as an “e-book”.  Since the rights had reverted to me several years ago, I was able to do so with little difficulty. 
            When I took a fresh look at the story I had written decades ago but had not re-visited in recent years, I realized two things at once.  First, the book would need to be edited. Yes, it was edited upon its first release by Ballantine Books, a division of Random House, but apparently not well enough. I found an error or two on the first page alone. (I suppose in my delirium of having published my first novel, I’d neglected to catch this when the book first came out). As a result of this, I’ve spent the past few months editing and revising the original manuscript (while doing this, by the way, I added a chapter, revamped the cover art, and made a few other, minor changes).
            The other thing I realized, in taking a second look at my first novel, was that the fact that GFM was written so many years ago was not a bad thing at all. On the contrary, it was wonderful. As those of you who follow my blog know, I love all things retro. Well, here was a mystery set in 1978 Los Angeles. More than thirty years ago! How’s that for retro? It was a time of sex, drugs and rock and roll – no, make that disco. There were no cell phones, no Facebook, in fact, no Internet at all.
            It was an interesting time, to say the least, and certainly worthy of a second look.
            It was also a time when hairdressers ruled, particularly
Beverly Hills hairdressers. (Think SHAMPOO). GFM tells the story of the death of one such hairdresser. Our protagonist, Susan, a children’s author, suspects that his death is no accident and embarks on an investigation to prove her case.
            There are some pop cultural references with which readers (particularly those under thirty-five) might be unfamiliar, I’ve included a glossary of sorts in the introduction of the revised edition.
            The electronic version of the book is now available for purchase at a very “retro” price of $.99 on NOOK (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/groomed-for-murder-vivian-rhodes/1000875721?ean=2940013965348&itm=1&usri=groomed+for+murder) and on Kindle here.
            I’ve been asked why I’m pricing the book so inexpensively. The answer to this is that I’d like to get greater exposure, increase my name recognition, and, hopefully, pave the way for future books I might choose to make available as e-books.

            Groomed for Murder is a racy, romp through retro L.A. -- hope you enjoy the ride.  



Thanks for joining me on this week’s journey along RHODES LESS TRAVELED,

Vivian

1 comment: