Saturday, June 23, 2012

DORIS DAY


Before Jennifer Aniston., before Debbie Reynolds, the ultimate girl next door was Doris Day. (Arguably this might be said of June Allison, but Doris Day was a personal favorite of mine so I’m sticking with Doris).
           Born Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff, on April 3, 1924, with her winning smile, her infectious laugh, and the wonderful sense of vulnerability she possessed, it was no wonder that her name was continuously on movie marquees, particularly in the fifties and sixties.
            Doris Day began her career as a big band singer in 1939 but it wasn’t until 1945 that she hit it big with Sentimental Journey. One of the most prolific female artists of the twentieth century, she recorded more than 650 songs between 1947 and 1967. What made Doris such a superb vocalist is that she had a unique ability to put over a song. To personalize the lyrics so that when you heard her sing you truly believed that she felt the words she was singing. (As someone who has been a lyricist, I find this talent extraordinary and very gratifying).  Like Frank Sinatra, this particular skill would later serve her very well in films.
            Believe it or not, my mother did not want me going to see Doris Day films when I was a child. She felt that the subject matter was “too suggestive”.  Yes, too suggestive.  When I finally did see the romantic comedies of the sixties I found myself wondering (even at my tender age) why  Doris Day, a virgin in her thirties, was turning down an opportunity to travel the world with the wealthy business tycoon with whom she was in love (and who, by the way, was played by Cary Grant no less!)
            Unfortunately Doris’s screen persona was different from her personal life, which was not all sunshine and daylight. Far from it. She had a pattern of being attracted to a variety of men who either cheated her or physically abused her. (The closest she came to a role imitating her life was in the movie, Julia).
            From all accounts, she was a sincere person and a loyal friend. In fact, she maintained a long standing friendship with longtime co-star, Rock Hudson and stood by him in his final days, before he eventually succumbed to AIDS. 
            Doris Day, who in addition to films had a successful television career, is also known for her life long devotion to animals and to organizations supporting them.
            Though she was recognized best for romantic comedies, my favorite Doris Day movies were the ones in which she played it straight (Julia, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Storm Warning). 
            Doris Day was and remains a class act.
            I’ve listed a dozen of my favorite Doris Day movies (in no particular order).

1.  PILLOW TALK
2.  LOVER COME BACK
3.  MOVE OVER DARLING
4.  THAT TOUCH OF MINK
5.  JULIA
6.  THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH
7.  STORM WARNING
8.  SEND ME NO FLOWERS
9.  THE THRILL OF IT ALL
10.PLEASE DON’T EAT THE DAISIES
11.MIDNIGHT LACE
12.YOUNG AT HEART


 Thanks for joining me on RHODES LESS TRAVELED, and have a great weekend,

Vivian 

P.S.  Due to the fact that I'm going to find myself very busy in the coming weeks, I've decided to dispense with my daily 'this day in history' at least for the summer. I will continue writing my weekly blogs (though they may be posted at any time during the weekend). Thanks for your continued support.

No comments:

Post a Comment